Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this course near you?
Register your interest now
This webinar will demonstrate the technical principles in the identification of financial instruments, using practical illustrations. Additionally, how to analyse complex contractual terms and rightly determine the most appropriate accounting treatment in practice, of financial instruments, will be explored.
- An examination of the scope of financial instruments
- Understanding the fundamental constructs of financial assets, financial liability and equity instruments
- Examining contractual terms and deciding whether certain contractual cash flow is within the scope of financial instruments or within the scope of other Standards such as Leases or Revenue from Contracts with Customers and so on
- When contractual terms have changed over time, how management should account for such change of contractual terms
- How to account for various contractual settlement terms
- Identifying when an obligation that is required to be settled in own equity instruments and distinguish this contract from share-based payment contract
- How to determine ‘debt for equity swaps’ and how to decide whether to classify as equity or continue to be classified as a liability
- Can you offset a financial asset with a financial liability?
- A quick brief on the importance of classifying the instrument of an issuer as either an equity instruments, a liability or a compound financial instrument
What you will learn
- A hands-on guide in the identification of financial instruments
- Be equipped with the technical acumen in providing the correct accounting treatment of financial instruments
Danny Tan has over 40 years of working experience in public practice, commerce and industry.
In the last 25 years he is a partner of a consulting firm providing technical training and consultancy in financial reporting topics. His clients’ profiles include multinational companies, governments, regulators and professional institutions, auditors and lawyers. Danny held several honorary advisory roles in financial reporting committees and working group in IFRS technical issues. He is currently a project manager with the Malaysian Accounting Standards Board.