How can workplaces manage the mental health crisis?
The COVID-19 pandemic and ongoing disruptions have significantly impacted many New Zealanders’ emotional and psychological wellbeing.
In 2022 we are continuing to see the ongoing impact of this throughout workplaces.
Employers are finding more and more staff are taking sick leave for mental health or leaving their jobs.
Research suggests that rates of mental illness have risen at an alarming rate in the last year. The World Health Organisation has listed depression as the leading cause of productivity loss worldwide.
Unmanaged mental illness is now the leading cause of productivity loss, sick leave, and staff turnover.
This webinar will provide an overview of mental illness based on the latest scientific studies, what employers can do to reduce mental illness, and how to help and support someone who is struggling.
We will consider case studies to show you how to deal with real issues.
In addition to performance and productivity issues, an employer has legal duties to manage mental health issues at work. Find out how to effectively support staff, avoid discrimination, and comply with health and safety laws. Discover how to discuss mental health issues with staff.
What you will learn
- Learn how mental illness affects and changes the brain and a person’s behaviour
- How the pandemic has changed the way many people experience mental illness
- Find out how mental illness can affect staff, performance and productivity in ways many employers don’t think of
- Detect the early warning signs of mental illness
- Discover how to approach a colleague who you suspect may have a mental illness
- Avoid discrimination in hiring and employment
- How to avoid making the problem worse
- Consider ways to support people in your workplace with mental illness
- Practical case scenarios and case law on legal responsibilities
All employers, CEOs, managers, team leaders, human resources professionals. Mental illness can affect anyone from any industry.
Michael Hempseed, author of Being A True Hero: Understanding and Preventing Suicide in Your Community
Julia Shallcrass, Director, KiwiBoss Ltd
The webinar was recorded on 22 February 2022.
- $129.60 incl. GST
Complete online at your own pace (Self-paced)
- PD hours: 1.5
- $129.60 incl. GST